Strength For Your Journey

There is strength for just one more step. Believe it!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Moonlight






I love the moon.

I'm sure this is a phrase you don't hear very often, and I guess one I don't say very often, but it's true. I was driving home tonight and the sun was just setting. The sky wasn't black yet
, but it was getting
dark, and I rounded a curve, and smiled as a saw an almost full moon. Something about seeing it just made me happy..made me smile. I literally said "thanks God." To see this big beautiful object in the sky, just confirms the existence of God to me.

There's also something so amazing about seeing the moon especially when
it is full, reflecting on the ocean..Beautiful!

Here's the really cool thing.
The moon....it has no light of it's own. That's so hard to believe, especially when it's so dark outside and there's a full moon, many
times, it's actually bright enough outside that I don't have to search for the keyhole, it's light enough for me to see it well and just slip the key in. So how can something that actually has no light of its own, shine so brightly? Well it simply reflects the light of the sun. Isn't that interesting...the brightest light in darkness, is something that has no light of it's own...it simply reflects THE brightest light.
So of course, you know the parallels I'm drawing here....I clearly know that I am nothing on my
own, but my sincerest hope is that I will be a reflection of God's love and character, and quite
literally, bring light to someone's darkness. Help them find their way a little easier. Simply spending time with God, and soaking up more of Him to reflect and mirror if you will, who He is, is to shine brightly in a dark world.


There's something about being a light that draws people...Listen I hate leaving the porch light on, just because of all of the bugs that I have to beat my way through to get in...but the very fact that they are drawn to the light proves the point. If you become a light, people will be drawn to you. You have a chance to make a
difference. It doesn't matter if you think you have nothing to offer, because it's not your light anyway...it's just a matter of believing that He can shine through you, by you simply mirroring Christ more and more...you might be a sliver of a moon right now, but you are light! And you know how it is...one night you see a sliver of a moon, but not too many days from now, the moon is full and beautiful and shining brightly.

If God can take a mass whose surface is very similar to coal, and cause it to reflect the sun's light so brightly to the earth, can He not use us to shine brightly in this earth?

I thank God for the moon. I love the moon. It stands as a reminder to me, of all I want to be....a mirror reflection of the greatest light ever!

I am the light of the world; anyone who follows me will not be walking in the dark;
he will have the light of life” (John 8:12).



3 comments:

  1. God says in Romans 1:20, “For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.”

    The moon is part of God’s creation, and what you mentioned in your blog, IS one way to think of it. I am writing to give you a different perspective, perhaps one you never thought of before.

    In one aspect, I liken the moon to satan. As you said referring to the moon, “…the brightest light in darkness, is something that has no light of it's own...it simply reflects THE brightest light.” Not only are we nothing on our own, but either is satan. he can’t create like God, he can only imitate God, in whatever he does.

    satan leads people into darkness, just like the moon takes us through the darkness of night. The moon may start off full, but it fades away through it’s cycle until people are left with nothing left but darkness. There is pleasure in sin for a season, (or cycle), but it leads to total darkness and despair. The moon may be the light of the night, but God is the light of the world, as you mentioned in the verse: “I am the light of the world; anyone who follows me will not be walking in the dark; he will have the light of life.” John 8:12.

    satan is the light of night, the father of lies, and God is the light of the whole world, the Father of truth!

    We are nothing on our own as you said. As Christians we need to let God’s light shine through us; then others will be attracted to that light like bugs are drawn to a light. (I like that analogy that you mentioned.)

    While writing this, I thought of the moon's cycle, and related it to life. We have only a short opportunity to reflect God’s love, or accept His love.(salvation) Our days get shorter and shorter until we no longer have that chance. When we die, we will either go into darkness, or go into the light of God’s presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! and thank you Anonymous...great stuff there. So neat how we can each see something different in the same thing. And so glad that I know when my cycle is on earth is done, I KNOW I will be entering the full light of God's presence. Thanks for reading and responding!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.