Strength For Your Journey

There is strength for just one more step. Believe it!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Ride The Waves That Tried To Crush You


Ride the Waves that Tried to Crush You

2 Corinithians 4:8-9 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.


Ever been here? Trouble on every side, perplexed, knocked down....
You are not alone. Seriously....I think so many of us have felt this way at least (and I mean at least) once or twice.

I watched this movie one day, a movie that I never would have normally watched. It was about surfers, and truthfully, I would avoid a movie where everyone is in swimsuits...however, something really intrigued me about this one and I stopped to watch.
Here's the basic gist of the movie. This girl loved to surf. She was very good at it....however, one time while surfing one of those awesome big waves, the wave slammed her down underwater, where she hit her head, board got caught on a rock and she nearly lost her life. Fast forward a year or so, and she is surfing again, but not competitively, she's just hitting the small waves, having fun, but never putting herself in that same position again.
She finally is encouraged to brave THE waves again in competition. Guess what...almost the same thing happens again. Fear causes her to misjudge the wave, and it crashed down over her, and her board is stuck again on a rock underwater and her ankle is fastened by a strap to the board. It's getting harder to breathe and she's trapped....she finally gets free from the board...she tries to swim to the surface, gasps for air....when suddenly another massive crushing wave crashes over her and sends her back under again, deep into the water. She barely had enough air to begin with, now she fights back to the surface, and gets one quick breath, before again...one more unrelenting wave...uncaring crashing wave sends her forcefully back underwater, deep, deep into the black water. By this time, you wonder does she even have the strength to fight her way back up again, and if she does will it even matter. You're on the edge of you seat, (realizing that's ridiculous because this is only a movie, ;o) hoping praying that she fights her way to the top once more . She does and this time there's enough of a break that someone is there with a jet ski to get her out of there.
Fast forward a little bit, and she is recovering in the medical tent...when she realizes...she will always be bound by fear if she doesn't get out there and ride that wave...... everyone gasps. She's out there now...she watches one, two, three waves come and go.....she stays afloat on all of them, just letting them pass. Then there's one that's coming that's gonna be huge...powerful...She starts swimming towards the shore getting ready for this wave....she stands...and...she rides that wave perfectly...it pipes around her providing a type of silence that is beautiful, the crowd of course can't see her, but she comes out of the wave on her feet with the most beautiful experience of her life. She rode the wave and won!

Long story, but if you're still with me...thank you. God showed me so much in this movie...How many times have the waves of life battered us, crashed over us...how many times have we felt like we were fighting for our lives, just fighting to catch our breath, when just as soon as we can breathe again, something else hits us and sends us crashing down again...
Too tired to fight...too tired to try again. But something...something says..Oh you might be knocked down, but not knocked out...you might pressed down, but not destroyed, ... discouraged, but never with out hope.
I'm telling you there's something that God does that even when things begin to appear "hopeless", He allows even just that glimmer of hope to guide us to the surface....
I can't even swim in the natural, but I know this...I'm tired of just coming up for air...tired of feeling like all the energy is used up in existing.
Things are changing. I'll say that again...This time things are changing....
This much I know...it's time to ride the waves...to the other side.


2 Corinthians 1:7-9 (New Living Translation)

7 We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us. 8 We think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through...We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. 9 In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead.


Thanks for reading. Love to know if you did.



Just had to add this link to this post...not normally my type of music...but the lyrics....come on!


FireFlight - "Unbreakable"
Where are the people that accused me?
The ones who beat me down and bruised me
They hide just out of sight, can't face me in the light
They'll return but I'll be stronger

God I want to dream again, take me where I've never been
I wanna go there, this time I'm not scared
Now I am unbreakable, it's unmistakable
No one can touch me, nothing can stop me

Sometimes it's hard to just keep going
But faith is moving without knowing
Can I trust what I can?t see to reach my destiny?
I want to take control but I know better

God I want to dream again, take me where I've never been
I wanna go there, this time I'm not scared
Now I am unbreakable, it's unmistakable
No one can touch me, nothing can stop me

Forget the fear it's just a crutch
That tries to hold you back
And turn your dreams to dust
All you need to do is just trust

God I want to dream again, take me where I've never been
I wanna go there, this time I'm not scared
Now I am unbreakable, it?s unmistakable
No one can touch me, nothing can stop me

God I want to dream again, take me where I've never been
I wanna go there, this time I'm not scared
Now I am unbreakable, it's unmistakable
No one can touch me, nothing can stop me


© ALLEN VAUGHN AND RAY; MEADOWGREEN MUSIC COMPANY;





4 comments:

  1. I read and am continuing to read! I am encouraged by your thoughts and your words. You are gifted my friend and I'm so delighted that you are willing to share your gift. Powerful message here...one that I definitely needed to hear and a scripture to remind me that He has, does, and always will care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa
    Yea I know its been awhile. You really do have a gift for writing.
    I just want to say that God knew exactly when I would need to read your posts and your words have really been an stabilizing factor in the crashing waves that are grounding me right now.
    God Bless you in every way
    Luv You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa,
    I needed to hear this today. I guess that is why God led me to your blog tonight. Thanks for sharing yourself.
    Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Theresa, really wonderful post! I know I've gone through several moments where I have felt overwhelmed, hit upside my head, by life...losing my mom 2 yrs. ago, losing our dog suddenly this year, and my in-laws health declining to the point of the family pulling together to put my mother-in-law in assisted living and now my father-in-law soon. There was a point where we'd have little 'waves' in life...now much bigger ones and closer together, just like in the movie...but as the verses said above, God is there amist the chaos. I know it takes prayer to survive the 'waves' that keep coming. My thought is if we're tight with the Lord, when the waves come, hopefully, we're full of faith, rather than to pray just in the worst of times, and full of fear. In the days we live in, we surely need to hold tight onto God and keep our eyes on Jesus...so that we may walk on the water and not drown in it. Keep writing! Love them!
    ~Carolyn Erny

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.